Pages

In the World of Cosmetics


One of the first things that came to mind in terms of imagery for the word TRIBAL, was Alex Box's STUNNING front cover for her book 'The Make Up Artist'

Alex Box, cover shot from The Make Up Artist 2010
I don't think I know why this is what I thought of instantly. It's not traditional tribal make up in anyway that I have seen. But it is stunning and so... simple. Just using the plains of the head and a maori-styled 'penmanship', Alex Box has created a refined and stunning new identity for the model.
That said, the head dress and the lack of clothing on the shoulders does suggest at the traditional tribal style seen over the world, of choosing one area of the body to accent and dress up, and decorating it to the nth degree!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. I hadn't made the association between tribal and Box, but now that you have pointed it out, I can definitely see it.

    ReplyDelete